1921 The Pelham Picture House, built by the Pelham Theater Corporation, opens on September 10, 1921, showing Passing Through, a comedy-drama by Agnes Christine Johnston.
1929 Vitaphone equipment installed…the “talkies” arrive in Pelham with Nothing But The Truth starring Richard Dix and Helen Kane
1930 “The Voice of Action” sound system, by Western Electric, is installed.
1936 The Rogowsky Family purchases and refurbishes the theater.
1987 The Rogowskys add an 11-speaker Dolby stereo sound system plus a new screen and curtain.
2001-2 The historic Pelham Picture House, which had been continuously operating as a movie theater since 1921, is set to be demolished to become a retail bank. A group of citizens establishes the nonprofit organization, Pelham Picture House Preservation, to purchase and preserve the theater.
2002-4 Pelham Picture House Preservation raises just under $1,000,000 from the surrounding communities – enough to acquire the theater and keep it open.
2004 The Pelham Picture House is nominated for listing on New York State Register of Historic Places.
2005 Pelham Picture House Preservation officially acquires the theater and changes its name to The Picture House Regional Film Center (informally, The Picture House) reflecting the organization’s new mission to transform the theater into an independent film and education center. Government leaders such as Representative Nita Lowey, State Senator Jeff Klein, and Assemblywoman Amy Paulin, publicly support The Picture House’s efforts.
2008 The Picture House begins an ambitious programmatic build-out that includes the organization’s first original education initiatives.
2009 The Picture House launches its first two original film series: the preview series Reel Insider, featuring discussions with film talent and critics, and the classic series Sunday Essentials. The inaugural Summer 2009 season of Reel Insider sees a slew of exciting new films and talent, inspiring Westchester magazine to name Reel Insider as one of its “52 Reasons to Love Westchester.”
2010 The Picture House completes fundraising for renovations and celebrates the beginning of construction with a Groundbreaking Ceremony on September 13. Prior to the theater closing, The Picture House launched two additional film series: Family Flicks, featuring beloved classic films for all ages, and An Evening With, putting renowned film artists in conversation with critics and with Picture House audience members.
2011 The Picture House reopened its doors early in 2011 to a renovated and restored theater, brand-new films series, new film education offerings, and its first-ever membership program. The organization celebrated the historic theater’s 90th year in existence with The Picture House 90th Birthday Gala on April 9, 2011.